Monday, June 16, 2008

Day 3 - Touring Hong Kong

What happened to Day 2? Well if was so brief that I just keep it a part of Day 1. Day 3, we woke up not know what we should do so we went to eat breakfast in the motel and then went to the front desk, we ended up buying a couple of tours. The first was for later in the afternoon and the next was for the following morning. Since we had the morning free, we thought that we would roam around Hong Kong for a little. I didn't get 5 steps out the hotel door when some guy asked me if I wanted to buy a watch, once I was able to break free, another guy pounced on me about coming to his shop to buy a suit. I thought I was in New York City. As I now know, there are a few spots where you get "jumped" to but suits, watchs, and handbags. But if you ignore them, they go away. On the way back to motel, Halli asked how far are we away and I said, "four suits from the hotel". I was wrong, it was only 3. Anyways, the morning we spent wandering around Nathan Street, a popular shopping area then in the afternoon we took a tour.

The tour was called the Hong Kong City tour where a bus picks you up near your hotel and drives you to several sights. We saw a lot. We visited Man Mo Temple, took a tram up to Victoria Peak was overlooks the city, took a boat ride in the Aberdeen Fishing Village and visited Stanely Market. Very few people have cars in Hong Kong so most people walk or take public transportation (bus, taxi, train). But this drivers are nuts, they have double decker buses and they drive like maniacs. Heaven forbit the kids step of the curb at the wrong time, they'd be road pizza!

Anyways, we finished our tour at 7pm but decided we would hoof it down to the harbor and watch the nightly laser light show where several companies light up the sky across the harbor. It was less then I had imagined but still pretty good. We grabbed some dinner, ran into about 5-10 more opportunies to buy a suit and then went to bed early.

No comments: